Friday, April 13, 2012

Tutorial for the Birthday Pop Up card


As promised, here is the tutorial for my Sister-in-law's Pop Up Birthday card. It can be viewed here. You will need to scroll past my kitty photos. :)

You will need:
  • Colored cardstock for the base. I used Soft Suede
  • Very Vanilla cardstock for the pop up insert. Note: my original uses Very Vanilla. The cardstock in these photos is Whisper White.
  • Coordinating designer paper - I used Mocha Morning dsp
  • Coordinating ribbon - I used Very Vanilla Satin and Very Vanilla Taffeta
  • Paper Snips
  • Bone Folder
  • Scoring Board
  • Ruler and pencil
  • Snail Adhesive
  • One Sided Tape such as Scotch Tape
  • Mini Glue Dots 
TIP: If you are not sure how this works, you may want to use scrap paper first.

And one final note. I could charge a fee for this tutorial but I prefer to offer my tutorials for free. My only "fee" is if you do copy/case my card, or any of my projects, please provide a link back to me with full credit. Thanks for understanding!

1. Cut the card base and the neutral cardstock for the insert. Score as shown.


2. Fold the neutral cardstock in half and measure and draw 4 lines as shown. The fold is on the LEFT. These are the measurements I used but they can be adjusted if you want to add more "boxes" or make the "boxes" a different size than mine. 
And don't worry about pencil marks. This is the side that will be adhered to the card base.

3. Cut each line with Paper Snips. You will be cutting through 2 layers of cardstock because the card is still folded in half. Again, the fold is on the LEFT.

4. Fold each cut piece back. Fold it as evenly as possible. Use bone folder to get a crisp fold.

5. When you open up the card (carefully), it will look like this. Stamp your sentiment now just in case you make a mistake. If you do make a mistake you can always cover it up with a stamped and punched sentiment!

6. Now this is how you get the pop up. Mountain fold the "boxes" and Valley fold the card base.

7. Fold the card in half so the "boxes" are in their Mountain fold and use the bone folder to flatten it.

8. This step is important. Before you cut the designer paper, measure the width and length of each "box". I didn't do that for this tutorial and my dsp was too narrow as you will see in the pictures.

9. Once you know the measurements, cut the 3 pieces of designer paper and fold each one in half. Again, my measurements are a little bit off for the "boxes" I cut. 
 Cut the ribbon as shown. 

10. The designer paper will be layered as such. If you have a little dsp hanging over the edge when the card is folded, it will need to be trimmed. Once you know the dsp will fit, attach it with Snail adhesive.

11. To attach the ribbon, use the one sided tape and put a little piece on each end of each piece of ribbon. Tape it down on the back of the "box" as shown. One sided tape is important so your box does not stick together when folded.

12. This is how it should look on one side. Add the ribbon to the other side as well.

13. Add the Snail adhesive as shown. Do one side at a time!

14. Attach the pop up insert one side at a time, centering it on the 3 outside edges. The folded edge should be flush with the card base fold.

15. Add adhesive on the other side and attach to the card base. I added strips of the Mocha Morning dsp to the top and bottom of the inside. This is optional. I don't know the measurements. Sorry. 

Final notes: I attached the bow to the top of the "boxes/presents" by using 2 mini glue dots. Decorate the outside of the card as desired. My card front is Here. Once there, scroll down.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback on my card! 

80 comments:

Boni said...

This is such a fantastic card! Thank you so much for sharing your idea with us! Very creative. I am excited to try it!

Enjoy your weekend!

~Boni Montano

Marian Kay said...

Absolutely stunning! Thanks so much for taking the time to share the recipe with us!

Kelly said...

Wow, This is a absolutely fabulous card!! Thank you for the tutorial. I can't wait to try and make it!!

Kelly said...

This is an absolutely wonderful card!! I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

Kelly said...

Great Card. I can't wait to try and make it. Thank you for the tutorial.

diane garlets said...

Thank you so much for sharing! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! You ROCK!
Carole

nana said...

You are the best. Thanks you much for posting the tutorial. Blessings.

Terri said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. Your card is amazing. I appreciate you.

Terri

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your tutorial, I've always wanted to make one now I know how, made one and it turned out pretty good
Gail

Queen Mary said...

Lisa, thanks for providing the measurements and your tutorial! I don't have a blog or gallery anywhere, but I do plan to case this idea -- maybe you are on FB, I'm going to check!

Yapha said...

Great card and excellent tutorial!! Thanks so much for sharing it!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! The tutorial is wonderful! Now I can jump right in and try one without "brain strain"!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful card and tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tinabobina99 said...

My brother and I are planning my mother's 99th birthday party in July and I know this will be her birthday card! Can't begin to thank you enough for sharing your creativity.

Debbie Martin said...

Thanks for the great tutorial and your time to put it together for us!

Marla said...

Thank you, thank you! What a wonderful tutorial! You're such a blessing to many people, Lisa. You are appreciated!

Tiffany Bauer said...

I just love this pop up card and the super awesome surprise inside!! Thank you so much for the tutorial too!! I will be featuring this card on My Crafty Picks #61 with a link back to your blog on 4-15-12. Make sure to stop by to check out all the picks!!

If you wish to decline please email me by responding to this comment to let me know.

Have a great day!!
Tiffany Bauer
http://www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

Pat R said...

Thanks so much!
Your card is amazing and so are you.
I really appreciate ALL of the time that you spent on this tutorial...

Jacqueline said...

Lisa,
Thanks so much for the instructions on this B-day card. I can't wait to make one...your instructions look VERY EASY to follow. I love your blog, you do such a wonderful job making cards

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Lisa, thank you so much for this!! You are so sweet to do so many tutorials for us. I had the right concept, but forgot my bottom cut, and my practice piece was folding wonky. I just sat down and did one of these. Not totally done, but I have my dsp on.

jokim2@sbcglobal.net said...

I've been admiring this card for some time and finally looked up your blog/tutorial. Thank you it's awesome!

Cathy said...

Thank you for sharing your tutorial Lisa!
Love your cards.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

So nice to find someone that will share their ideas and talent without charging. Going to make this card for my mother's 91st birthday. Thanks you.

Annette said...

Lisa, this card and tutorial are just magnificent. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I love the inspiration you continue to provide.

/p said...

What a great card. Thanks for the tutorial.

/p

Unknown said...

Thank you sooooo much for sharing your instructions. I can hardly wait to make one. Thank you! Thank you!

Gail said...

Thank you so much for sharing!
Now I want to go play!

Jeanette said...

Your instructions are so clear and easy to follow. I'm going to try one of these very soon! Thank you so much

Gisela said...

THANK YOU so much for the tutorial, this is a FANTASTIC idea and a Super card.

chantal said...

Merci pour le partage. Le tutoriel est super.
Bises.
Chantal

Wink said...

You are so clever! I just love it! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely one of the best and simplest ideas I have seen. Thanks for sharing....

Scraptastic1 said...

Just love this card, thanks so much for putting together a tutorial.

Michelle Gray said...

Beautiful card and awesome tutorial. TFS!

Ellen said...

Fabulous tutorial! tfs

Ellen said...

Awesome tutorial! TFS!

Marion said...

Hello ! thanks for the share ! I try your tutorial and I love it !!!
If you want to see the result, it's here :
http://marioncreation.over-blog.com/article-blog-hop-special-mini-catalogue-d-ete-104611351.html

Bye !
Marion

Theresa said...

Wow, this is wonderful! Thank you so much for all the hard work that went into this tutorial!! I appreciate your sharing it and will certainly credit you when I make one.

Toulouse31 said...

I followed a link from pinterest and am so glad I did! I cant wait to try it, your tutorial is really clear.Thanks, Donna :-)

Toulouse31 said...

I followed a link from pinterest and am so glad I did! I cant wait to try it, your tutorial is really clear.Thanks, Donna :-)

Maggie Mata said...

You have such mad skills. Great Blog!

Stacey said...

This is beyond darling!! Thanks so much for sharing....and for free! Beautiful work!

Allison said...

This is gorgeous and what a fabulous tutorial! I am definitely going to have to make a few of these when I get back to crafting.

Amanda said...

Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. Wanted to share my take on it: http://stampinupwithamanda.weebly.com/1/post/2012/06/paper-obsession.html

Carole said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Your card is gorgeous. I posted my first attempt at making one and linked back to you. Be well
http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

Keitha said...

What a wonderful card! Thank you for sharing this tutorial!

Jayne Stenstrom said...

I recently made this card when a friend came over to stamp - they turned out so cute! I'm going to be posting ours on my blog today and I will be linking back to this post. Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial and the step-by-step instructions!
~Jayne S.
www.jaynestamps.com

Anonymous said...

WOW- Thank you for such detailed and clear directions for this fantastic card! I can't wait to try it!

Mitzi said...

Thank you Lisa for posting the step-by-step directions for this cute card.

Gina Wrona said...

Love it! Thanks to Jan Tink for sharing the link on her blog from the card she made.

Julie A. said...

Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial for your gorgeous card! I made one shortly after you posted it and finally got to share it on my blog. I posted the link back to your tutorial:) Thanks again!

CountryFlo said...

It 'a fantastic project! Good girl! I want to try to do it too! thanks for the tutorial!!
Fiore

Anonymous said...

wonderful.....the turorial is really very helpful. thanks !!

Waseem said...

This is such a fantastic card! Thank you so much for sharing your idea with us! Very creative. I am excited to try it! along with Gift Card envelopes.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! I'll use it for Christmas cards.

Thanks for sharing!

pavithra!!! said...

thank you so much for posting that! that's such a beautiful card! :)

Karen W said...

This is totally fabulous!!! I may have to try this later this week.

Katarina said...

Fantastic card, thanks for sharing!

shamraiz said...

Thank you, thank you! What a wonderful tutorial! You're such a blessing to many people, Lisa. You are appreciated!
plastic vip cards

MG said...

So nice card and thanks for the tutorial.

I have just made one myself but it don't close properly. Any suggestions how to keep it more closed until the recipient choose to look inside?

Donna said...

Thank you for this amazing tutorial! I received a card like this at a swap but needed instructions and I found yours. I'm going to give this a try and hopefully do it at a workshop coming up.

Your tutorial is VERY well done! Thank you! I'll be sure to give you the credit for it.

jennifer delauter said...

Just finished making the card for my Dad's birthday. He never wants a present. Now he gets 3! Easy to follow directions. Thank you very much for sharing this with us!!

Amanda said...

Think I have commented on this card before. But just wanted to pop by again to thank you for the tutorial and say what a FABULOUS card. I am delighted to say that I have now made 2 of my own which I have just shared on my blog.... they really are stunning in the flesh ... so a 1000 times...Thank You Lisa!

Lyndy said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. It's absolutely perfect AND your card is gorgeous!

I made this card and posted it on my blog with a link to yours.

www.polkadotpixgal.blogspot.com

Susan Byington said...

Stunning! I'm making this for my sister's birthday. TFS!

Haru Natsu said...

thanks for sharing, i'm looking for this popup card so long, now i get tutorial for popupcard from u, thank you so much.

Jayshree Jayshre said...

What a wonderful creation! i love the main design of your card. It looks fantastic!
I'd love to share this to my friends as birthday wishes on Facebook.
Cheers!

Lan Linh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Friv4 Games Online said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tranbaongoc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cindy Dy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pubsquash John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bibikafu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ka maz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Man 3 Return said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
XUKA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steffy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your TUT and what a great TUT it is great card as well ones love of crafting shows through when one is willing to share for free
I for one appreciate it
Steff

alyssa t said...

you gave me an awesome idea! thanks lisa

PS: my grandmas name is lisa

Diane Lindall said...

Clearest step by step instructions for this card I have seen. Thanks for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...